About Me

My photo
Happily married new Mom who loves cooking, reading, and writing. Passionate about life! Cruising is currently my fave way to travel, however I'm ready to pack my bags for any type of trip. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions, I would love to hear from you!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Vacation Countdown...

OK, so I'm a little obsessive about travel planning....
Is it just me, or do you all tend to go over a mental checklist (or even a real one) about 50 times a day before you go on a trip?
We're cruising in a couple days, and I just can't stop thinking about the trip. I created an itinerary (weeks ago!!), and I keep skimming over it to make sure I didn't miss anything. I also check the weather at each port a couple times a day, AND go through our cruise documents to make sure everything is in place. I keep reading about the places we'll see...I feel like I've already been there!!!

A lot of people like to "wing it," meaning they book the trip and don't think about it again until it's time to board the plane or drive to the destination. I just cannot do that. I need to know what the best options are for my trip, so I can trust that we will all have an enjoyable time.Then I can truly relax while vacationing. That's just how I am.

Friends tease me sometimes,  but it's all in good fun since they all benefit from my type-A personality pretty often. I've had some wonderful memories with my husband, family, and friends because of good planning. When we travel or even just head to a fun night out, we know the areas to enjoy, and areas to avoid. We know the local customs, as well as things to expect and prepare for. We take excursions that "insiders" know about, things the general public will likely miss. I know things won't go EXACTLY how I expect them to, and I'm learning to R-E-L-A-X and go with the flow a bit more than I used to. A general timetable and budget for travel isn't a bad thing. Being completely rigid on a vacation can ruin it for everyone. 

So to my fellow type-A travelers...be encouraged! You're the go-to person in the family, the one who makes things happen in a way that allows everyone to have a truly memorable experience on your vacations. Remember to let go a little bit and allow some space for things to "just happen." You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment